You should create a symfony task, usable this way :

./symfony cities-csv-import path/to/file

This command would parse the Csv and use propel model to create new entries.

Consider chunk import if your file is very very big. For example :

./symfony cities...... --from 0 --to 5000 file.Csv

Put your big file on a correct file storage system (samba, ftp...), so your
subversioned project keep a correct size.

Put a sample Csv in project for testing, add some fixtures (yml) for
development.

At the end, in documentation of project, explain how to use command, where
to find the big file, and any useful information.

Imho.

Alex'

---
Alexandre Salomé - http://alexandre-salome.fr