Hi,

I managed to get symfony to work on free hosting (freehostia.com - no
advertising intended).

Basically, the root of the ftp was like this :
/public_html

And the executed code was in the public_html folder. This meant I could but
all the content of the web folder in public_html, and the content of the
other folders next to the public_html folder. All that was left to do was
configure symfony to use the public_html folder instead of a web folder. For
that you can check the doc :
http://www.symfony-project.org/book/1_2/03-Running-Symfony#chapter_03_sub_configuring_a_shared_host_server

<http://www.symfony-project.org/book/1_2/03-Running-Symfony#chapter_03_sub_configuring_a_shared_host_server>Be
advised though, that free hosts often have other limitations. For example,
mine didn't allow me to make calls to external webservices...

Hope that helps,
Yannick

security at symfony-project.com