this sounds like you messed up your apache configuration - or you have
some other server running on 8080 already.

this has nothing to do with symfony. you should check the setup of your
machine.
just to try out, you can also try some other port different from 8080
like 8888 or whatever (just be sure to replace that everywhere and not
just in some places)

if you are still stuck, you should ask around, i am sure somebody at
your university can help you get apache running :-)

cheers,david

Am 24.05.2011 10:28, schrieb Chinthaka Rukshan Weerakkody:
> Hi,
>
> I followed that tutorial and configured the httpd.conf file as follows.
> My installation directories are as follows.
>
> symfony projects directory: /var/www/symphonyprojects (project directory
> is inside the localhost www directory)
> I created /lib/vendor directory inside the symphonyprojects directory
> and installed it. Then I added the below lines of codes and configured
> the /etc/apache2/httpd.conf file.
>
> # Be sure to only have this line once in your configuration
> NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1:8080 <http://127.0.0.1:8080>
>
> # This is the configuration for your project
> Listen 127.0.0.1:8080 <http://127.0.0.1:8080>
>
> <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:8080 <http://127.0.0.1:8080>>
>
> DocumentRoot "/var/www/SymphonyProjects/web"
>   DirectoryIndex index.php
>   <Directory "/var/www/SymphonyProjects/web">
>     AllowOverride All
>     Allow from All
>   </Directory>
>
> Alias /sf /home/sfproject/lib/vendor/symfony/data/web/sf
>   <Directory "/home/sfproject/lib/vendor/symfony/data/web/sf">
>     AllowOverride All
>     Allow from All
>   </Directory>
> </VirtualHost>
>
> Then I tried to restart apache server and when restarting using terminal
> it gave me the below error.
>
> " * Starting web server apache2
>
> (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
> 127.0.0.1:8080 <http://127.0.0.1:8080>
> Unable to open logs
> Action 'start' failed.
> The Apache error log may have more information."
>
> what is the error and what can I do to overcome this problem. Can anyone
> help me please.
>

> Thank You.
>

> --
> Chinthaka Rukshan
> Department of Computer Science and Engineering,
> University of Moratuwa,
> Sri Lanka.
>
> --
> If you want to report a vulnerability issue on symfony, please send it
> to security at symfony-project.com

- --
Liip AG // Agile Web Development // T +41 26 422 25 11
CH-1700 Fribourg // PGP 0xA581808B // www.liip.ch

security at symfony-project.com