You can use an "API key" instead a username-password, and send it with
every request as a custom HTTP header.
You can read an example from
http://www.symfony-project.org/more-with-symfony/1_4/en/10-Symfony-Internals:
"Using the request.filter_parameter event

Let's say you're operating a website exposing a public API to your
users. The API is available through HTTP, and each user wanting to use
it must provide a valid API key through a request header (for example
X_API_KEY) to be validated by your application. This can be easily
achieved using the request.filter_parameter event:..."

I hope it helps

Cristian Iturri

security at symfony-project.com