Ondrej Certik wrote:
>> So it seems that several people at the same time feel that sympy would
>> be good for generating FE bases at least, in terms of either tabulated
>> data in common sets of quadrature points, or a generated C(++) code, to
>> be re-used later. Thanks for sending your code. I think we could start a
>> new project (at googlecode?) using your code as a good start. Are you ok
>> with a BSD license?
>
> Yes, let's do that. However, there should be a leader, who will push
> things forward and make sure it is coordinated. Is anyone willing to
> do it?

I have started nagging about making the project, but so far I am not
very familiar neither with sympy nor with swiginac... However I can
setup a project at googlecode, if you want.

> Yes, I actually prefer BSD to GPL, especially now with those GPL 2 and
> GPL3 incompatibility.

Kent agreed, so be it BSD.

> What name to use - SymFEM? It needs to be a name, that is easy to
> google, symfem is.

I like it. Maybe only SymFE?

> How about calling sympy by default, so that it works in pure python
> (easy to install, works on windows/linux/mac os x for free), and
> calling swiginac optionally for speed? And also trying to speed sympy
> up (my bet is on Cython[1]). This means converging with the interface
> of swiginac and sympy. Since I am a coauthor of both, it shouldn't be
> that difficult.
> But swiginac is now under the hood of Ola Skavhaug, I didn't really
> touch it for two years - but I think Ola will also be interested in
> that (CCing him)? See related posts to sympy mailinglist[2].

This would be great, but it should not be too visible to user (=me :-)
The less _required_ dependencies the better.

r.