Hi,

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 03:55:21PM +0100, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how about removing the sympy-oldcore branch from the official repository:
>
> http://hg.sympy.org/sympy/

I think sympy-oldcore should be left inplace, read below.

> and creating for example a new sympy-oldcore repository at
> http://hg.sympy.org/sympy-oldcore   ?
> Or maybe we don't even have to create the repository, because all the
> history is archived in the svn at google code anyway. Also the history

Practice shows that noone will ever go back to the old svn repository
after some time. And history browsing, bisection, etc on svn suck.

> which we have now in the Mercurial repository
> is not from the beginning anyway.

Why so? I've tried to convert everything. The first changeset is
df726f7a9030.

> I tried to strip it out and the repository size decreases from 8.7MB
> to 4.8MB.

I think history is much more important.

> Also the "hg vi" is not cluttered with that branch, which is
> very seldom used if ever. And

It is the 'hg view' that shall be fixed. Try comparing 'hg view' output
to 'hg glog'

> also it helps a lot with merging so that you don't have to specify
> which head to merge with.

Maybe, I don't have enough experience to say, but one thing I can say is
that we'll probably want to use some named branches anyway in the
future. If yes, this argument goes away.

But again -- not 100% sure.

> What do you think about it?

I think we should leave it. The project was stressed when we switched to
the 'new' (now old) core. The switch was done simply copying files, and
all the history is on the oldcore branch.

Besides not all files were probably copied -- I remember myself
restoring pauli algebra several months after the switch.

Resume: I suggest we leave oldcore inplace and try to fix 'hg view'

--
    Всего хорошего, Кирилл.
    http://landau.phys.spbu.ru/~kirr/aiv/