Hi,

I finally found time to install virtualbox on my Debian and windows +
ubuntu images on it. My plan is to figure out the steps so that anyone
with windows can start hacking on any python project (sympy) and also
how to use mercurial from windows and then document everything in our
docs.

Here is how to do it:

$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.24-1-686
$ sudo modprobe vboxdrv
$ sudo vigr #add yourself into the vboxusers group
$ virtualbox

Read the user's manual at virtualbox.org. It's really that simple,
then you mount an iso image of Windows/Ubuntu and install it. It just
works.

That was the easy part. Now, how do you hack on python in windows? How
do you start python shell? I would like to have some terminal, is
there such a thing in windows?
I started the "cmd" commandline and managed to start python from that
by going to the c:\python2.5 dir and running "python.exe", but I don't
think anyone uses "cmd" for development, does he?

BTW, I had to install firefox, because IE shows a mess for this page:
http://docs.sympy.org/tutorial.html

I installed python(x,y) distrubution from pythonxy.org and that works
fine. Then I installed MinGW and MSYS from http://mingw.org/ and this
gives me some kind of reasonable terminal. However, readline support
is missing, so the interactive interpreter is not working, nor is
bin/isympy ("python bin/isympy" hangs for example).

So the only way how to start isympy that I figured out is running
"cmd", then "cd C:\Python25" and "python.exe Scripts\isympy".
Unfortunately the "cmd" terminal is really stupid for any serious
work.

Does anyone know how to fix the above problems, so that one can use a
normal terminal much like in unix?

Thanks,
Ondrej

P.S. Plotting works out of the box, that's nice.