On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 03:29:58AM +0200, Gael Varoquaux wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:35:50AM +0200, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> > I finally found time to install virtualbox on my Debian and windows +
> > ubuntu images on it.
>
> I figured all that out all ready, but I am stuck at one problem: how to
> get a windows license? I do have a windows license, it came with my
> computer, but it won't accept running under virtualbox.
>
> I am not buying one!

A bit late reply is that one could try to use WINE to test SymPy on
win32 platform.

Recently I've crafted a tool to unroll development environment
(Python+NumPy+MinGW+other-extras) under WINE, and perform quick jumps
between Linux and Win32 worlds:

http://landau.phys.spbu.ru/~kirr/cgi-bin/hg.cgi/navy-wine-devtools/

you could even run ipython on win32 console and access the same SymPy
files you are currently editing under Linux

This piece of code lacks (yet) documentation, so I'll write here how to
setup it:

$ hg clone http://landau.phys.spbu.ru/~kirr/cgi-bin/hg.cgi/navy-wine-devtools/
$ cd navy-wine-devtools/

$ cd distrib/

# now we are going to download all the win32 software we need (it's kind
# of a distribution)
$ ./__fetchblobs__.sh
# ... a lot of downloading is happenning ...

# let's get back and setup WINE instance
$ cd ..
$ export WINEPREFIX=`pwd`/x.navwin32
#        ^ ^ ^
# WINEPREFIX points to where our windows setup will live (and btw, you
# can have several win32 instances simultaneously)

# let's finally create win32 instance!
$ ./navy-wine-dev-install.sh
# ... a lot of things are installed and optionally compiled ...

# source handy win32-jump aliases
$ . waliases.sh

# ---- now let's get to try SymPy/win32 ----

# first clone sympy
$ hg clone http://hg.sympy.org/sympy
$ cd sympy

$ wipython  # this invokes ipython from under win32, or
$ widle

and try import sympy there and other things

and as a bonus, here is how to build msi installer for sympy under Linux:

$ wpython setup.py bdist_msi

That's it.

------

And the last note -- I've got ok from my supervisor to share this, and
also we could generalize this to some general tool (at present the
needed setup is hardcoded), so if anyone is interested, let's create
separate project for this, and of course:

Patches Welcome!

--
    Всего хорошего, Кирилл.