On Thursday 19 June 2008 03:00:31 Ondrej Certik wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:52 AM, Brian Jorgensen
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > For years, I've been hearing that effective text editing is essential to
> > productive coding, but I'd never really taken the time to move beyond
> > Notepad++, Text Mate, and gedit. I've recently started using vim, and I'm
> > really impressed. I can already see the dramatic advantages of things
> > like vim's advanced motion commands.

First of all, I am in exactly the same situation. Vim feels better than, say,
Notepad++ or Kate (and MUCH better than eclipse, because that one takes ages
to load), but I am still waiting/working for increased productivity.

> > But so far, this hasn't really translated into improved productivity. I
> > haven't been able to find a work flow that integrates powerful text
> > editing with incremental development. Earlier today I asked Ondrej about
> > this, and he encouraged me to send it to the list so we can all learn
> > something from each other.
> >
> > Here's my tenative wishlist, though I really want to hear what works for
> > _you_:
> >
> > Something like IDLE's F5 (save, compile and run current file)
> > Something like Visual Studio's F5 (save, compile, and run project, not
> > just the current buffer)
> > An interactive interpreter in the same window as the editor.

That would be nice, yeah. So that you can hit F5/F9/whatever in the editor and
have it auto-switch to the console, and run make/python/whatever there.

I usually use ipython, which means to "run my project" I do:

[Alt][Tab], [!], [ArrowUp], [Return]

I am not particulary happy with that, but until I find a better solution...

> > My ideal setup would not be python-specific, as I also code in C, C++,
> > C#, etc. (I still want to hear about how you use IPython, if that's your
> > thing.)
> >
> > Thanks! Hopefully this will be enlightening for all of us.
>
> I only use terminals, so it doesn't matter if I am working on my
> laptop, or at my table computers at work over the net, it's the same
> workflow.

I use vim for quick-and-dirty editing, and gvim for longer sessions, because I
have not yet found *any* good color scheme that works in terminal mode.

> I usually have two terminals open, one with vim, where I map important
> commands to F10 (run the buffer in python), F9 (run make), etc.
> And in the second terminal, I do all commandline things, i.e. ipython,
> or executing some scripts with complex parameters, or Mercurial
> commands, or debugger.

I wish it was possible to hit, say, F9 in vim, and have the output go to the
terminal.

> Sometimes I only use one terminal, in which case I always end vim to
> get to the commandline (vim remembers the cursor position when I open
> the file again).

Additionally, I recommend the 'screen' utility, especially useful when working
remotely.

> I use this setup for python, C/C++, tex/latex, apache configuration
> files, everything.
>
> The only exception when I am using GUI is when debugging using winpdb
> (http://winpdb.org/), instead of pdb.
>
> Ondrej

Felix