sorry, you're absolutely correct.  I'm a long term debian user and I
tend to say one or the other as a short hand which is a terrible habit
because they are completely different things....  I'll check out the
differences between the BSD and GPL (and subversions) and all that red
tape required to coerce people into being reasonably well mannered,and
decide when I come to release it.  Basically I want a very strong
license so that anyone who uses it has to be free and respectful about
it...I don't want people putting a GUI on my masters project and then
trying to claim it is all theirs and sell it or something, I also
don't want some cheeky company taking my ideas and patenting them as
if they were their own (and then possibly suing me for using 'their'
idea some way down the line -- apparently this is happening)

Thanks very much for the note, Tim (physNut)