On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Andrew Straw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It sounds to me like you want code generation. There were a couple
> threads about this and a ticket. I think for what you want to do, Mark
> Dewing's work is nearly sufficient:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/sympy/browse_thread/thread/0c44f801ed1cc9f4
> http://groups.google.com/group/sympy/browse_thread/thread/bc8f809f08c3ab21?fwc=2
> http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=668
>
> I think having automatic code generation in sympy would be quite useful.
> Also, it would be nice if different target languages were supported.
> (Python, C, and Pyrex/Cython spring to mind immediately, with the latter
> two implying that type declarations would be necessary.)

And Fortran.

> I've used sympy in a couple projects to do things like compute the form
> of a jacobian, which I've then hand-transposed into Pyrex for
> evaluation. So far, the need for automatic code generation was actually
> pretty minimal in those cases because I only have to do the symbolic
> manipulation once, but still it would be nice to have the raw source
> generating the code that gets evaluated rather than having a
> cut-and-paste-and-manipulate routine. Furthermore, it would be one more
> area where the Python tools compete with the commercial packages out
> there...

Yes, this is needed indeed. Since you and Mark have already used sympy
for code generation, you already know how to do things -- would you be
willing to prepare patches with functionality that you think should
end up in sympy? It'd be very useful to many people. If not, you'll
have to wait until someone else does it. :)

Ondrej