I tried the things Kirill - thank you! - suggested. I used

$  ./configure --extra-cflags="-fPIC" --prefix=`pwd`/tcc-root

This worked for tcc, but not for libtcc, there seems to be a bug:

$ python compilef.py
tcc: file '/usr/local/lib/tcc/libtcc1.a' not found
Running tests...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "compilef.py", line 555, in <module>
    test_clambdify()
  File "compilef.py", line 410, in test_clambdify
    cf1 = clambdify((x, y), f1)
  File "compilef.py", line 260, in clambdify
    return _compile(code, len(args))
  File "compilef.py", line 228, in _compile
    __run(libtcc.tcc_relocate(tccstate)) # fails if link error
  File "compilef.py", line 205, in __run
    raise Exception('could not run libtcc command')
Exception: could not run libtcc command

libtcc seems not to be configured for the correct path.

Vinzent