On Mar 30, 4:24 pm, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very interesting.

Thank you :)

> Could you please add more details for how you intend to implement the solvers?
> Will you write them from scratch? Wrap known solvers?

My plan is not to use any external software that would introduce extra
dependencies for Sympy. So I'll be basically writing these from
scratch.

About the implementation - it will be a trial-and-error method as
there is yet no systematic approach on solving PDEs (so possibility to
give hints to the solver is a must). And I am concentrating mostly on
the equations of mathematical physics. No plans about heuristic
methods and symmetry methods (yet).
But ideas for solver so far:
  * Determine the order of the PDE
  * Pattern matching (number of partial derivatives, special cases,
change of variables)
  * PDEs of second order with no more than two variables - reduce to
canonical form
  * And also consider the user-given hints

> I saw no mention of numerical PDE solvers. Are you planning on
> only implementing symbolic solvers?
I currently have no plans for numerical solvers, but hopefully it will
be possible to plot my solutions.

> Can you possibly compare to known symbolic solvers (Maple for
> example or Mathematica might have some?).
So far I have only worked with PDEs by hand :P
I have used Maple a bit in school, but I have not done any PDE stuff
with it. And I do not have access to Mathematica.

I will try to add these details to my application.

Thanks :)