On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> Hi Priit!
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Priit Laes <plaes...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, ping us when it is updated.
>>>

>> I added it as another section:
>>
>> http://wiki.sympy.org/wiki/GSoC2009Application/PriitLaes#Approach_for_Solver
>
> Please apply to both PSU and PSF *now*, more details here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/sympy/browse_thread/thread/c28fa1023df40d71
>
> you can then refine the application in there. I'll send more comments
> later today.

Couple more ideas of improvements to the application (you can get
inspired by them). First apply to PSF and PSU, then refine:

* write more details about each class of problems in the "Problem
sets" section. E.g. for the "Variable separation for PDEs", will it be
able to handle the radial Schroedinger equation for example? What
exact steps are needed for each part? Etc. maybe even some example in
sympy can help for each case, and then couple words what needs to be
fixed

* based on the above, make a more detailed schedule, e.g. fill in those "...".

* we will have to add more operators to SymPy, like Nabla, Laplace,
etc., so that one can represent a 3D (or n-D) PDE. --- this is
something that many people will appreciate, see for example:

http://code.google.com/p/sfepy/issues/detail?id=34#c3

Adding a new class to sympy is easy, it's documented here:

http://docs.sympy.org/guide.html#functions

we should update the docs for it, but the basic idea is the same. See
also the tests for it:

sympy/functions/elementary/tests/test_interface.py

those are uptodate. I'll help with this should any problems arise.

Ondrej