On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Ryan Krauss <ryanli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am just creating two patches for now and am about to email them (one I
> already sent to sympy-patches).
>
> But I also just opened a github account.  Should I fork from
> http://github.com/certik/sympy/tree/master
> and is that the same as the one I just checked out a few hour ago using
>
> git clone git://git.sympy.org/sympy.git
>
> and how can I make my new github account play nicely with the fact that I
> already have these two changes after my clone?

You can fork it from me, or you can just push everything at once, it
doesn't matter.

As to handling patches with git, you have two options. Either just
work in the master branch, then you just push everything to github,
but then when we merge it, or if some more changes are needed, or we
merge something else first into our main repository, your master
branch will then be very different to our official repository, thus
making it harder for you to work with.

Thus I recommend to work in branches, e.g. create a new branch:

git co -b ryan

work in there, commit some stuff, push to gihtub

git push github ryan

(assuming the "github" remote points to github, see "git remote -v"),
and keep you master branch always identical with our main sympy
repository.

That way you can easily work on your stuff, while you can also update
from our main repository and you can also easily rebase etc.

Ondrej