On Jul 4, 7:50 pm, Christophe <projet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Python has a builtin set data type.  For example:

> > set(1, 2, 3, 5)
>
> > Sympy has an Interval class, but it seems at the moment it doesn't
> > have things like the intersection / union operators, nor whether the
> > interval is open or closed.
>
> > I'm not sure if this Interval class was intended for the application
> > you mentioned, but if so, we should add some functionality, it
> > wouldn't be very hard.  The file is:
> > sympy/core/interval.py

The interface would have to be changed to take a descriptor of whether
the set is open or closed, wouldn't it? But maybe you could make the
start and end values be a tuple and change the corresponding start and
end property definitions. So you could create an interval (3,4] like

Interval((3,0),(4,1))

And the default could be a closed set (i.e. Interval(3,4) would be
[3,4])

There is a package available that already handles intervals as has
been requested that is available at

http://members.cox.net/apoco/interval/

I found this on the listing of packages at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/
.