Hi,

SymPy was accepted both for the tutorial and a 40 min talk at the
SciPy 2009 conference:

http://conference.scipy.org/schedule
http://conference.scipy.org/abstract?id=3

I'll give the tutorial using sympy that is in all distributions/Sage,
e.g. 0.6.4, or even older, like 0.6.2 in EPD. However, the conference
is a good deadline to get some stuff done.

The absolute number one priority is:

* merge Fabian's assumptions branch and get rid of the old assumptions

if we didn't manage nothing else, we have to manage this, it's very,
very important.

Then the other top priorities are:

* merge the sympyx Python core
* start using Cython in pure python mode (all around sympy)
* merge Luke's trig branch (implements all kinds of simplifications to
all 24 trig and inverse trig functions,
sin/cos/tan/cot/sec/csc/asin/acos/atan/acot/asec/acsc, along with
hyperbolic versions of each, just like Mathematica). I also hope we
could implement some more advanced trig simplifications
* port to Python 3.0

And of course anything else, where you feel the most efficient. For
example Aaron is doing excellent progress with the Constant class and
ODE solvers. Chris just debugged a very nasty arithmetic
simplification bug and fixed it (it's already committed).

assumptions
-----------------

We'll start working on this with Fabian right after we release sympy
0.6.5 (hopefully tomorrow). Me and Fabian will put 100% of our efforts
to make this succeed.

sympyx
-----------

We did some work on that when Aaron visited me in Los Alamos and it
seems it will allow to implement Order, infinity and other things
outside the core, code is here (see also the handler branch):

http://github.com/certik/sympyx

python 3.0
---------------

latest development on the python3.0 front is here:

http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=1262

There doesn't seem to be any showstoppers now, just dozens of little
things to fix. I believe anyone can finish it from this point on. :)

Cython
-----------

As to Cython, I was just about to say "Cython is still not ready yet"
when I noticed that Robert just fixed the showstopper bug:

http://codespeak.net/pipermail/cython-dev/2009-July/006360.html

I tested and it works! See here for a demo how the pure python mode
works (see the README):

http://github.com/certik/cython-test

Now this is very exciting --- we can now use Cython to speed up
critical parts of sympy and mpmath, and still remain pure Python. I
plan to setup additional buildbots, that take sympy, runs cython on it
and execute all tests. E.g. the same sympy tests will test both pure
Python sympy, and cythonized sympy.

Stuff like factorization of integers and similar things can be sped up
very easily a lot. The ultimate goal of course is to cythonize the
core classes, because they become  C structs and its virtually as fast
as ginac, if done with care. The sympyx has it, but it will take some
time to fully integrate it (it's easy to create a fast simple core,
but way more challenging to add all the special cases, like
assumptions, infinities, Order, ...). But we can (and will) start
using cython here and there now, setup all the infrustructure and
slowly start improving and experimenting with it. And then gradually
improve.

Ondrej