On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM, william
ratcliff<william.ratcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!  My student, William Flynn, has been working a lot this summer using
> sympy--thanks for all of the efforts on this project.   We're doing some

Thanks for using it and trying to fix the noncommutative problems and
other things.

> work in a windows environment and find that pretty printing (to generate
> pngs) still has a problem.  Our hack at the moment is to use the python
> subprocessing module to call latex and later run yap.  We need to clean
> things up so that we check for existence of latex on the user's machine,
> etc--but is this the approach that the community would like to take?  We
> also considered tried to go the matplotlib route to generate pngs, but ran
> into a problem with long equations (which ironically, was a problem in latex
> as well).

We managed to get a Google Summer of Code project fixing exactly this
problem. Freddie setup a new project for this:

http://code.google.com/p/mathtex/
http://gsoc-mathtex.blogspot.com/

it basically uses matplotlib rendering engine. If you run into
problems with long equations, could you please report it in the
mailinglist here:

http://groups.google.com/group/mathtex-dev

Freddie will look into that.

> Also, we have some rather long expressions involving exponentials, dirac
> delta functions, etc. and latex has difficulty breaking them up
> automatically.  In the mathematical literature, it would seem that people
> generally do this themselves using several
> align statements.  One possibility that we are considering is breaking up
> the expression by numbers of terms, but in sympy,
> is there an easy way to determine if for example a '+' sign is inside of a
> function, or outside of a function?  Also, while this may work for us, might

Aaron replied to this one already (e.g. use .args)

> some kind of "printing_strategies" class be useful, which a user could
> subclass?

Yes, I would implement this either as a profile variable in a latex
printer, or a new printer. Probably the profile variable, like

latex(<some long expression>, wrap=80)

(wrap after 80 --- well, should it wrap after 80 characters?) I guess
rather to fit into the page, so e.g. maybe it could call mathtex to
obtain the width of the Add terms and cut it just right.

see:

In [2]: latex??

for the source code of how it works.

Ondrej