On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Aaron S. Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think whatever smart parsing we implement should be implemented
> right in sympify, that way we can benefit from it in regular SymPy
> too.  Maybe we could add a flag to sympify to only work strictly to
> convert stuff to sympy expressions with python syntax like it does now
> and another option to be smart enough to handle implied multiply,
> implied function calls (like integrate x dx or sinx), the ability to
> recognize that something is a matrix (like [[1, 0], [0, 1]]), and so on.

Yes, I think most of the logic should be in sympy proper. I think it
could be turned on with something like

The only thing that I am not sure is if it should go into sympify or
some other function, because it can be ambiguous, e.g.

xy vs. xy

(x*y vs. xy)

But in any case, I want it to be able to handle most of the syntax
that people use out there (including the latex one).

> As for showing steps for integration and so on, does anyone know if
> there are any general purpose algorithms for this?  It might make a
> good Google Summer of Code project.
>
> Ondrej's idea for rewriting is the best.  Just call expand with the
> various options turned on or off and all of the functions in
> simplify.py and see if they change the expression.  If they do, show
> the result, otherwise, don't bother the user with them.

Exactly.

Ondrej