Ok, I think I have it.  I have (hopefully) compiled a set of patches
that implements what I've done.  I have modified the following files:

.../sympy/mpmath/mptypes.py
.../sympy/mpmath/matrices.py
.../sympy.mpmath/libmpf.py

Basically I've just modified the patch that is found on the
aforementioned mpmath issues page.

These modifications should be self explanatory within the patch file.
However, I have yet to find a place to upload this patch file (if
anybody is interested it trying it).  Is there an issue/bug page for
sympy anywhere?  I would've simply uploaded it to the files page, but
I cannot locate an upload link.  Any suggestions?

~~archery~~