Hi James!

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 2:02 PM, James Pearson <xiong.chiam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just found out this:
>>
>> http://github.com/certik/sympy/network
>>
>> it nicely shows patches from other people, one can nicely see which
>> branches are not yet merged in, as well as to see some patch
>> description by pointing the mouse to some dot.
>
> There is also the fork queue, which you can only view if you are the owner
> or a collaborator on a project.  It shows you unmerged changes from your
> forks, and allows you to easily cherry-pick or ignore changesets into a

It'd be also cool if anyone could do all the merging (without having
to be a "collaborator") and then just send one pull request and
someone from the "collaborator" list can just quickly merge it in.

> branch of your choice.  And, of course, pull requests, although this project
> is close-knit enough that you probably have no need of it.

Actually, we would need this.

> If you were not aware, you can also leave comments on commits (on specific
> lines, even), which assists the code review process.
>
> Might I recommend an account for sympy (named sympy, naturally enough) that
> has one repository that is a direct mirror of the canonical repo on
> sympy.org?  That way, we have a nice place to go to create forks (that
> doesn't have developer's personal branches and whatnot), and if you feel
> like using the networky features of github, you can pull into that repo and
> push straight back into the canonical one.

Yes, that'd be the best. What is the best way to do it? E.g. should we
setup some kind of a cron job at our server that hosts git.sympy.org,
or should this be in the post-update hook (but what if github is down
at the moment...)?

> GitHub was built for collaboration, and the tools there really help if you
> take advantage of them.
>
> BTW, the Patches Tutorial[0] is quite thorough (good job!), although there
> are still quite a few hg-isms floating around in there (hey - I can fix
> that!).  I'd suggest providing a link to it in the README, perhaps?  I've

Yes to both! :) Just send us a patch to the docs making it better.
Maybe you can also mention hg-git and just make the all docs use git
as default, having a small section about mercurial for those who use
it.

> been noticing more and more projects asking contributors to make topic
> branches[1] when they fork, and I think it really helps keep things cleaner
> and simpler for whoever has to look over the code and approve it.
>
> Whew - sorry if any of this goes against what you've already got working (or
> you're doing it already); I haven't really been paying much attention to the
> sympy development process.

We are still evolving it, e.g. we used just svn, then mercurial and
now we use git, and the sympy-patches list for sending the patches in,
but it sucks to apply them by hand (also many times the "git am" just
fails), so I just encourage people to post branches in there, and so
it makes sense to me to just use github and post the branches there
and ask for a merge. (Problem with sympy-patches is that I easily
loose track of what is ready for review or what still needs review).

So if you have some more suggestions how we can improve our workflow,
I am definitely interested.

Ondrej