It depends on how hot the part of sympy you are coding is.  If it is part of
the code that is changing a log, you might want to rebase over master every
week.  If your changes are likely to apply cleanly after a long while, you
might not need to do it so often.  Ironically, it is inversely proportional to
how easy to rebase will be for you.

Also, it is generally a good idea to get code reviewed and pushed in in smaller
chunks, especially if you are new, because your code will have a harder time
passing the vetting process, and you will have to fix fewer mistakes in the
future because you will know to avoid them.

Aaron Meurer