On Jun 2, 2010, at 9:12 AM, Scott wrote:

> What is the best way to evaluate x * cot(x) evaluated for x=0-pi/2
> with sympy?

I am not too sure what you mean by 0-pi/2, but you could try limit():

In [3]: limit(x*cot(x), x, 0)
Out[3]: 1

In [4]: limit(x*cot(x), x, pi/2)
Out[4]: 0

> Is there a  better option than coding the Taylor series approximation?

You wouldn't need to code the taylor series, it already is implemented:

In [7]: print (x*cot(x)).series(x)
1 - x**2/3 - x**4/45 - 2*x**6/945 + O(x**7)

> Also with the sympy that shipped  with Ubuntu 10.04 sympy.cot(0) is 0
> rather than infinity.

This is a bug that still exists in master.  Could you report it in the issues?

Aaron Meurer