> Maybe that there is a way to also incorporate this in sympy somehow,
> and if it is, I am all for it.

For a lot of reasons, I've needed to build my own formula parser. I've a
tree structure with objects, each having a tag to know if it is simplified
or not.

For example, x^2+15/25 will be see first as :

+                     NOT SIMPLIFIED
>>> ^              NOT SIMPLIFIED
>>> /               NOT SIMPLIFIED

Then a procedure will do calculations as follows

+                     NOT SIMPLIFIED
*>>> ^              SIMPLIFIED*
*>>> /               SIMPLIFIED

*+                     SIMPLIFIED*
>>> ^              SIMPLIFIED
>>> /               SIMPLIFIED

I've not yet done this because I'm working firstly to have a tool so as to
print mathematical documents in WEB, ONLY TEXT and PDF easily.

Best regards.
Christophe.