On Jun 30, 2010, at 8:01 AM, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> Hi Christophe,
>
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Christophe BAL <projet...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> a little remark.
>>
>> Some people wants sympy to do some "step by step calculations". I don't
>> think that is the job of a CAS because firstly the steps depend on the level
>> and the way of the exercises, and secundly the way a CAS works is not the
>> way a human calculates.
>>
>> For my part, I will build a Python package so as to write some answers of
>> exercises. I'll use sympy for calculations and not for the steps.
>
> I think that you are right.
>
> Maybe that there is a way to also incorporate this in sympy somehow,
> and if it is, I am all for it. If it's not, then a separate package
> (you can make it a sympy module though and have it in sympy itself) is
> probably the way to go.
>
> Ondrej

I think that there is a place for this in SymPy, though you are probably right
in the sense that the majority of it would have to be separate from the true
SymPy core.

For example, WolphramAlpha has a feature where it shows you the steps for an
integral.  However, the algorithms used to integrate functions and the ones
that it shows are quite different, so clearly they are separate ones.