On Dec 30, 2010, at 12:42 AM, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Aaron S. Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK.  I have made the change.  See https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/58.
>>
>> Some questions/concerns:
>>
>> - What is the purpose of the bottom imports (imports at the bottom of the
>> file) in some of the sympy/core files?  I moved the from sympify imports
>> from the bottom to the top, but left the rest alone because I didn't know
>> why they were there.
>
> This is to avoid circular dependencies. Try to move it to top and run
> tests and you'll see.

Right.

>> - I have added SympifyError to the list of things imported with from sympy
>> import *.  Is this a good idea?  It wasn't imported before, but it seems to
>> me that you should have these errors in the namespace so that you can catch
>> them.
>>
>> - Can/should I add a test for the fact that stdlib_symbol is no longer in
>> the main namespace?  This isn't the first time we have had junk make its way
>> into the main namespace (see
>> http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=1454).
>
> I don't have an opinion. If you think it's worthy, then let's do it.

How do others feel about testing the global namespace?  We would have to test
sympy.__dict__.

>> - I inserted from sympy.parsing import * in a place where it seemed to work
>> in the main __init__.py, but I don't know if this order matters for things
>> other than the order that it has to work in.
>>
>> - Why do we import init_session and init_printing into the global namespace?
>
> I think so that one can initialize such sessions in raw Python
> interpreter. If you think these things don't belong there, feel free
> not to import them any more.

Is it different from running "from sympy.interactive import *"?  Again, how do
others feel about this?  I myself am just getting tired of the slow import time
and want to remove superfluous things from SymPy's __init__.py's.

Aaron Meurer