On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Aaron S. Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I have fixed all of the priority issues. I just need people to finish
> reviewing them (they are the pull requests at
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pulls/asmeurer that do not already have a "+1"
> in the comments).  I haven't pushed anything in yet because I plan on doing
> it in one fell swoop after everything is reviewed to make it simpler.
>
> But there is one final issue blocking the release, which is Issue 1376
> (sympy.sum overrides built-in sum with a different call syntax).  The reason
> I haven't fixed this one is that we need to make a decision about what to do
> with sum().  The problem is that we are overriding the Python builtin sum()
> with our own sum() that has a different calling syntax.
>
> Proposed solutions are:
>
> 1. Make our sum() act like Python's sum() when given a list.  Mateusz has
> implemented this in his poly12 branch, but some people don't like it.
>
> 2. Rename our sum.  Suggestions so far have been sum_() and summation().
>
> 3. Just use Sum().doit().  This is the only suggest that I do not like,
> because it makes it look like Sum doesn't work if people don't know about
> doit().
>
> 4. Keep overriding sum() and mention it in our docs.
>
> I am fine with any of these (except I really don't like 3), but we need to
> come to an agreement so that we can merge in polys12 and get the release out.

I don't like 4., as it's imho confusing, that the builtin "sum"
behaves differently. I am sure Sum().doit() should work, but I agree
that having this as the only option is not furtunate, so I don't like
3. either. And choosing between 1. and 2., I like the option 1. Can
you be more specific about what people don't like on that approach?

Ondrej