Le vendredi 07 janvier 2011 à 20:07 -0700, Aaron S. Meurer a écrit :
> So I have fixed all of the priority issues. I just need people to
>  finish reviewing them (they are the pull requests at
>  https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pulls/asmeurer that do not already have
>  a "+1" in the comments).  I haven't pushed anything in yet because I
>  plan on doing it in one fell swoop after everything is reviewed to
>  make it simpler.

Why do you want to wait? If there are incompatibilities between the
commits, it'll be easier to solve them if we push them in one by one.

> But there is one final issue blocking the release, which is Issue 1376
> (sympy.sum overrides built-in sum with a different call syntax).  The reason
> I haven't fixed this one is that we need to make a decision about what to do
> with sum().  The problem is that we are overriding the Python builtin sum()
> with our own sum() that has a different calling syntax.
>
> Proposed solutions are:
>
> 1. Make our sum() act like Python's sum() when given a list.  Mateusz has
> implemented this in his poly12 branch, but some people don't like it.
>
> 2. Rename our sum.  Suggestions so far have been sum_() and summation().
>
> 3. Just use Sum().doit().  This is the only suggest that I do not like,
> because it makes it look like Sum doesn't work if people don't know about
> doit().
>
> 4. Keep overriding sum() and mention it in our docs.
>
> I am fine with any of these (except I really don't like 3), but we need to
> come to an agreement so that we can merge in polys12 and get the release out.

The problem with 1. is that it conflates 2 distinct functions with
incompatible syntax and semantics under the same name. The builtin sum()
works with any iterable, so consider the case when you try to get the
sum of series whose generic term is iterable (e.g. a Tuple or some sort
of Vector class): what should sum(Tuple(k, k+1), (k,0,5)) return? And
what of sum(Tuple(k, k+1), 1)?

I think we all agree that 3. and 4. are bad, so 2. is my preferred
solution. 'summate' is a bit awkward, but I think it's the best
suggestion - it's a verb and it doesn't contain an ugly and
unpronounceable underscore.