On Mar 18, 2011, at 11:09 PM, Tim Lahey wrote:

> On 03-19-2011, at 12:54 AM, Aaron S. Meurer wrote:
>
>> Interesting.  I think for the pull requests (which are the only thing we use
>> on GitHub; our issues are at Google Code), the default interface is better
>> because it puts the code right there, where as with this, the code is
>> hidden.
>>

> I didn't realize that the issues were still on Google Code. I thought the
> issues would be moved over when the repo when to Github. The advantage of
> using Github for issues is that you can have a commit automatically close an
> issue, by appropriate tagging in the commit description. I'm assuming it
> would work for when you merged a pull request as well.

Yes, when a pull request is merged, it is automatically closed.  From what I
have seen, Google Code's issue tracker is still superior to GitHub's.  And
anyway, we have over 2000 issues in Google Code, which we do not want to lose
(including the numbering, because various issues are referenced all over the
place by number), so if we were to ever move to another issue tracker, they
would all have to be transferred somehow.

But at the moment, we are happy with using Google Code for the issue
discussions and GitHub for the pull requests.  In some ways, it is actually
nice to separate the issue discussions from the discussions of specific patches.

>> Do you know how it computes the priority?
>>

> Priority isn't specifically determined, it's set. By default, if you go to
> the issues for a repository on Github, it's sorted by priority. If you're the
> owner, you can drag the issues into a new order to set the priority. So,
> issues at the top have the highest priority. The default priority is in order
> of creation (I think). So, the oldest issues would have the highest priority
> unless the order was changed.

I see.  So here is an example of where Google Code is better.  It lets you sort
the issues by various labels.  Our issues are sorted by milestone, then
priority, then by issue id by default, though you can manually choose any
sorting you want.  And the ability to do complex queries based on labels makes
it easier to find issues.

Aaron Meurer