Hello SymPy Community,

I'm looking for an interesting project to work on during some free
time I have this Summer and I'm wondering if we're a good fit. Here is
a bit about me:

I'm a PhD student studying Computer Science at the University of
Chicago with a background in Physics and Mathematics. I'm a heavy user
of Python and its open source developments but have never contributed
more than bug reports. I code a fair amount but it's all research-
grade and not suitable for public use. My goal for this project would
be to focus on crafting code and a clear end-user experience rather
than focusing on a scientific research question. I would also like to
engage and join the Python community a bit; I've always been "just an
end-user."

I'm searching for an appropriate project for a summer. I'm looking
over the provided list and at the existing functionality in SymPy. I
have a few ideas but I'd appreciate suggestions.

My interests include the following: Scientific Computing (generally),
Numerical Linear Algebra, Physics (generally), Geometry/Relativity,
Dynamical Systems, Statistics (generally), Uncertainty/Sensitivity,
Optimization, Education.

Thoughts:
My ideal project would be to develop a code-base for General
Relativity. However I see that someone else already has some code that
they're thinking of contributing. Would it be best to wait on this?
Are there supporting aspects of this topic that I could help with
(reworking tensors for example). Relevant thread here: http://goo.gl/zRmDs
I could probably improve sympy Matrices. I'm curious, how many people
use the existing functionality? What are common applications for
symbolic matrices? If I go this route I want to make sure that there
are some good motivating use cases. I wonder if something akin to
numpy's ndarray would be appropriate to merge both this and the above
topic. A lot of functionality is shared and currently (I think)
codeveloped in both branches.
Brian Granger's quantum physics projects seem appropriate.
I'm also tangentially interested in code generation. Any suggestions
on this front?
Anyone have thoughts for applications in education? Something like
sympy might aid significantly in learning calculus for example.
Can anyone think of projects that would be appropriate for someone of
my background that haven't yet been added to the ideas list?

Thanks all for your time and input,
-Matt
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~mrocklin