Sean,

> My name is Sean and I will be graduating this spring with majors in both
> physics and math from the University of Minnesota and, unless I change my
> mind between now and April 15, will be attending the University of Illinois
> at Urbana-Champaign to begin graduate work in physics in the fall.

Welcome and congrats on grad school.

>  I've been
> looking at some of the prospective projects that Sympy has and the projects
> involving the implementation of symbolic quantum mechanics, particularly the
> one on expanding the spin functionality, seem to be a good fit for what I'm
> looking for.

The spin work would be extremely interesting.  Probably the best thing
to do with this is to fork sympy and start to play with the spin code.
 To get started (even before you apply), I would simple start writing
tests for the spin module (see quantum/tests/test_spin.py.  The module
does not have many tests and they basic ones won't be too difficult to
write.  I am more than willing to work with you to narrow your
application.

> While all coursework I've taken has been in C, all the data analysis I've
> done in relation to my research, including work in PyROOT for my honors
> thesis, has been in python. Between this and currently completing the
> graduate level quantum mechanics course, I hope I can contribute to this
> project over the summer.

If you have taken a grad level quantum course, you should be set from
the Physics perspective.  Much of the things to do in the spin module
are grad level topics like general angular momentum coupling,
Wigner-Eckart theorem, spherical and cartesian tensors, etc.

> I've already begun lurking in the IRC channel, my nick is flacjacket if
> anyone wants to say hello. I hope to be getting in touch with you soon as I
> probe through the source and begin work on my application, and hopefully
> start on a project for the summer.

Great!

Brian

> Sean