Chris,

Welcome.

> I’m a fourth year physics PhD student at UC Davis and I’m quite
> interested in a few of your physics based GSoC projects. In
> particular, I like the “Spin states and operators for arbitrary spin”
> and “Position and momentum basis functions” projects.  However,
> everything looks pretty interesting, so is there any project(s) at the
> top of the queue?

I would have a look at the other proposals that students are working on:

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoc-2011-current-applications

Someone has a reasonably well developed proposal for the spin stuff.
I think someone *may* be working on a proposal for the x/p stuff.  If
you want to pick a topic that 1) no one has expressed much interest in
2) is quite important for us, 3) is close to your own area of research
and 4) is fairly close to leading to peer reviewed papers I would look
at the second quantization topic.

The second quantization capabilities in sympy are quite advanced, but
there were done before we have the general quantum stuff in
sympy.physics.quantum.  We need to refactor all the stuff in
secondquant over to use the new sympy.physics.quantum APIs.  There are
also a number of improvements to second quant that could be made along
the way.  If you are interested in that, I can give you more details.

If you want to work on the position/momentum stuff, that is also
important.  I would post to the list and ask everyone if someone is
working on a proposal for that topic.

In the meantime:

* You should dig into the code base in sympy.physics
* You will need to get a github account and submit some patches before
you submit your application.  I can help you find some good targets.
* The sooner you figure out what topic you want to work on the better.
 Putting up a draft app on the sympy github wiki enables us to give
you feedback.

Cheers,

Brian

> As a brief bio, I use to program fairly often as an undergrad, but I’m
> currently a full-fledged experimentalist (my thesis work deals with
> the optoelectronic characterization of nanostructures) where the
> typical programming task involves some simple data analysis script or
> LabView instrument driver.  So, I have quite a bit of free time this
> summer and I would love something challenging to do.
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Miller

Brian E. Granger
bgran...@calpoly.edu and elliso...@gmail.com