On Apr 26, 2011, at 9:00 AM, Tom Bachmann wrote:

>>> (1) "Waterfall". Review [1], I do any requested changes, then you push
>>> it in. Same for [2]. Then I cherry-pick [3] on top of master (might
>>> take a few hours), and when that is done proceed as before with [3].
>>
>> You do know about the "git rebase" command, right? That is the equivalent of
>> cherry-picking multiple commits.  Or am I misunderstanding you?
>>

> Well I do, but I haven't found it quite satisfactory. Let me describe
> what I do, I suppose there is going to be a better way.
>
> Suppose I want to develop a succession of features called A and B. B
> depends on A and is what I am really after, but A is also quite nice
> in itself and moreover a convenient stage to get code pushed into main
> branch.
>
> So I develop on branch-A, something like this:
>
> A1-A2-A3
>
> I then think the code is fine and submit a pull request. Obviously I
> don't want to stop coding (I want B!!!), so I create branch-B on top
> of A3 and code along:
>
> A1-A2-A3-B1-B2
>
> then one of those pesky reviewers [*] comes along and wants me to add
> some whitespaces in commit A2. I do it, and of course I rebase my
> branch A. But now we have got a problem:

Well, the solution to that is to not have whitespace errors in the first place
:)

But seriously, if you are just fixing whitespace errors, you probably don't
need to have a separate commit.  In that case, you can just do "git rebase -i
master" (in your branch), and mark the offending commits as "edit". Then, fix
your whitespace errors and do "git commit --amend".

Aaron Meurer