On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Fredrik Johansson
<fredrik.johans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Tom Bachmann <e_mc...@web.de> wrote:
>> Actually how does this relate to the following wiki page:
>>
>> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Algebras-in-SymPyCore
>
> It's roughly the same thing.

I also think that what Fredrik says might be a good idea. I don't have
much experience with this to have a clear opinion though. The reason I
have just used Add/Mul/Pow classes for everything in SymPy (long time
ago) is that it is conceptually a super simple idea, and it got us
very far. E.g. from the Zen of Python:

1) Simple is better than complex (Add/Mul/Pow is simpler than all the
algebras+other machinery)
2) Complex is better than complicated (the algebras are probably
better than the complicated entangled assumptions+cache)

As such, I now that we can get very fast just with Add/Mul/Pow (see
the csympy code: https://github.com/certik/csympy), and when using
Refine() and other things, we should be able to have core not using
assumptions nor cache, be fast, and using the new assumptions in
refine(). That fixes the current sympy, using pretty much the same
architecture.

Fredrik+Pearu's approach might be a better approach, looking at things
from a different angle, as Fredrik says, it might not be that
difficult to use. I still think though, that we should first get
assumptions out of the core, and then we can either just use csympy,
or we can switch to Fredrik+Pearu's approach.

Ondrej