Hi Matthew,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Matthew Rocklin <mrock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do we have a clear understanding of who our userbase is?
> Is SymPy being used for education? for research in academia? in industry? I
> imagine the answer is that "yes, it's being used in all of those places".

Yes, that's the answer.

> Does anyone know the extent to which it's used in these contexts? While
> designing I'd like to know what audience I should target.

It's hard to know or measure this, so I think the responses in this
thread give you some idea.

Speaking for myself and my own experience with people I know, I think
a large group is physics and engineering students (I am a physics
student myself), then physics or applied math faculty/research
(usually people who need symbolic things to generate or represent some
code in C/Fortran, be it linear algebra, or finite elements, ....). In
industry, for example EPD (http://www.enthought.com/products/epd.php)
includes sympy.

I think that large part of sympy users (and developers) are students.
For example from the top 20 contributors in the last month (git
shortlog -ns --after="1 month ago"), there are around 15 students and
5 non students.

Ondrej