Hi.

Thanks for starting this discussion.  My personal use of SymPy outside
of developing for it has been in the math courses I have taken.  Last
semester, I used it a lot in my PDEs course, and occasionally in my
linear algebra course.  In both cases, I used it to do difficult
computation, like Matrix multiplication or integration.  Ironically,
one of the modules that I find myself using the most when I use SymPy
for school is the ODE module that I wrote. SymPy is generally
sufficient for what I want to do, and I only turn to Maple when I want
to do something more numeric, like plotting.

Two semesters ago, I had a mathematical modeling course.  The course
involved a lot of group work, and the work was done mostly in Maple or
Matlab, with a presentation given in class.  By the end of the class,
we got quite a few people to use Octave instead of Matlab, since quite
a few people (myself included) did not want to pay for Matlab,
especially since at least in my case it would be something that I
would never use again.  We also went from only myself and another
person in the class even knowing what Beamer was to about a third to a
half of the class using it for the presentations (everyone else used
PowerPoint).  So I encourage those of you who are students to
encourage your classmates to use open source software over the closed
source alternatives, including SymPy.

As for how to make SymPy more popular among undergraduates, I think
one of the best ways to do it would be to create a nice interface to
SymPy, like some kind of GUI. This would have to be something that
runs in Windows.  Most people are Windows users who do not know Python
and aren't good enough or patient enough to install all the
prerequisites for SymPy (like Python itself if you are on Windows).
If there were a nice GUI that was friendly, like easy access to docs,
automatic sympification (so no one gets caught by 1/2 problems),
pretty printing, etc., then it would make SymPy more accessible to
more people.  I say this because most people that I know who use Maple
are like this.  Most of these people hate programming (or at least
think they do because they were introduced to it with C and have never
tried Python).

Finally, I just want to remind everyone of the saying "if you build
it, they will come."  If you include behavior that would be useful to
*someone*, those people will end up using SymPy because the behavior
will be there.

Aaron Meurer