On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> There was a discussion over at
> http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=1721 to rename the
> Real class to Float, because the name fits the class better.  The
> reasoning is that Real represents floating point numbers, not any real
> number like sin(1) or 2*pi, and it is confusing to have the subtle
> difference between Real and real in the docs.  See the discussion over
> at that issue page for more info.
>
> How do people feel about this?  If it were to happen, it would happen
> in the next release, which also breaks some other things in terms of
> backwards compatibly.

It seems that most code uses some variation of Real already:

Sage: uses RealField and RealLiteral:

sage: a = 1.345
sage: type(a)
<type 'sage.rings.real_mpfr.RealLiteral'>

Mathematica uses "Real": http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/Real.html

And given that it would break compatibility, it seems to me that it's
not worthy to make the change.

Ondrej