There are two questions, really:

1) why does gcd(2/3, 4/9) give 2/9 instead of (the greater) 2/3? I
know what the code is doing...but should it be doing that? I read
that

>  This definition is consistent with the idea that `a / gcd(a,x)' should yield
> an integer for any `a' and `x'.

 But why should it yield an integer; you started with fractions, I
would expect to only end with integers if one number was an integer
multiple of the other, which 2/3 and 4/9 are not -- they are powers of
each other.

2) regardless of the answer to 1, perhaps terms_gcd could get the
option to not clear the denominators? But on the other hand, why would
you want to keep the fractions? Hmm..