Hi,

On 27 May 2011 21:08, Chris Smith <smi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Aaron S. Meurer wrote:
> >> Shouldn't it return 1?
>
> The quote I posted takes the approach that the divisor is the number that
> divides both and still gives an integer, so our gcd and current primitive
> method (soon to be changed) is consistent with that notion.
>
>    >>> R=Rational;gcd(R(2,3),R(4,9))
>    2/9
>
> The primitive function in polys doesn't advertise (and doesn't do) a
> removal of the gcd...it should clearly state that, I think, or be changed to
> do so. I will have to defer to those that know what primitive is suppose to
> mean.

For long time I wasn't convinced what gcd(p/q, P/Q) should return and the
safest was to return 1. Some libraries, e.g. gmpy, don't define gcd() of
rationals at all. However, following other symbolic mathematics systems it
seems useful to define gcd(p/q, P/Q) as gcd(p, P)/lcm(q, Q) because this way
we can clear denominators when dividing by the gcd and core diverged from
polys. As I recall, the implementation of gcd() in core was done upon
request. To make core and polys behave the same way, I submitted a pull
request:

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/379

in which I changed behavior of gcd() and lcm() in Field. As expected (by
myself), no tests failed other than those testing the old behavior.

Mateusz