This already exists.  The star is a way for users to vote for issues.
The issue tracker is set to sort issues by milestone, then priority,
then number of stars, so the default order you see at
http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/list is roughly the order of
priority.  I didn't think of including discussion count as a tie
braker.  I'll see if I can add that, so it would be milestone, then
priority, then stars, then number of comments, then issue id.

And by the way, if you have the ability to edit labels, feel free to
up the priority of an issue.

Aaron Meurer