Sometimes you have two sympy installations, e.g. one in site-packages and
one somewhere else. Figuring out which one is getting used is the trick. I
haven't really spent the time to figure out how to get my IDE to use the one
that is in my git directory. I just know what I have to do to use the git
one to work. Others may be of more help.

I see that you found Rational(str(...)) to work. That's good, too. If you
ever get nsimplify or S to work they are good for situations where the Float
is buried in an expression. But your application can easily target the Float
so Rational works more directly.

Glad it's working. One thing I like about python is the way you can write an
adapting function so easily (as you have done) to deal with a new situation.

Best regards,
 Chris