On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Matthew Rocklin <mrock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In an ideal world they would probably subclass an immutable matrix and use
> an immutable matrix for storage. This brings up deeper questions.
> My main thesis here though is that we should start a matrix expression
> section of SymPy because there's lots of good math there and it's tricky to
> integrate it cleanly into pure SymPy expressions. An experimental MatrixExpr
> codebase would allow us to develop a bit more freely until SymPy Expr
> evolves to allow easy integration. I'm just dreaming here though. I don't
> have a firm picture of how all of this should fit into SymPy and rely on you
> guys to set me straight.

Well, you're right that it would be good to have an experimental code
base.  You will learn much better what should and should not be done
by trying it and seeing what does and does not work than you will
sitting here discussing it.  Those of us with more experience can
definitely direct you away from things that we can already see won't
work, but the only way to know the way you *should* do it is to try
implementing it.

Block matrices would be much more work than everything else, because
now you're combining your symbolic matrices with actual matrices,
which themselves would have to be extended to support such things.
Maybe MatrixExpr should just be added as a ground type to Matrix.
That might not be so easy to do, though, since most stuff isn't
written to take anything but shape 1x1 into account.  I'd see what
Sherjil thinks about this.

Aaron Meurer