On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Jim Jewett <jimjjew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Jason Moore <moorepa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Couple more thoughts on operator overloading.
>>... The outer product
>> doesn't really have a symbol on the keyboard. It often uses an x with a
>> circle around it. Same with cross...the 'x' would be the best choice, but
>> our language choice probably doesn't allow that.
>
> Have you looked at naming functions with unicode characters?  I don't
> remember how restrictive the rules ended up being, but you might well
> be able to use mathematical characters in function names.  For most
> people, that interface would require cut-and-paste, but if one of the
> APIs just forwards to another, that shouldn't be a severe problem.

Unicode variable names are only supported in Python 3, and anyway,
this is a very bad idea (unless you can remember how to type • or × on
your keyboard).

>> The only reason not to support all methods, would be if there is a reason
>> for maintainability sake. Otherwise, more options are better, because more
>> folks will be comfortable with using the program.
>
> It *may* matter depending on how important speed is.  Given:
>
>    def add3(x):
>        return x+3
>
>    add3(x)
>
> is still slower than
>
>    x+3
>
> because of function call overhead.
>
> -jJ

I seriously doubt that this would be an issue.  Also, it depends on
the implementation which one actually has more function calls.  x + 3
calls x.__add__(3), which may then pass the logic onto something else.

But this should basically be of zero consideration.