On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Vinzent Steinberg
<vinzent.steinb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 11 Aug., 21:31, Matthew Rocklin <mrock...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I personally like the functions, dot(a,b), etc... and would be sad to see
>> them left out. If you had to kick one I would get rid of the object oriented
>> syntax a.dot(b). This is just a personal preference though.
>
> I like about dot(a, b) that it is the general, clean syntax. a.dot(b)
> is nice for nested functions, so you can write a.dot(b).dot(c) instead
> of dot(dot(a, b), c). (In this case it does not apply for the dot
> product of course, but in general it might occur.)

An alternative is to write things like that as a function to take an
arbitrary number of elements, so that you could write:

    intersection(a, b)
or
    intersection(a,b,c,d,e)

That way people don't have to mentally verify that there isn't a
sneaky place in the middle where another function sneaks in, or
parentheses suggest a different order.

-jJ