On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What actually needs to be done?
>
> Well, basically just get a Sage trac account (I think just email
> sage-trac-account https://groups.google.com/group/sage-trac-account for that),
> click on the trac ticket and click positive review:-) To actually to the
> review
> correctly, see the appropriate sections of the developer's manual
> http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/ (for example I like
> http://www.sagemath.org/doc/developer/producing_patches.html
> to apply patches).
>

>> On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 3:31 PM, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all:
>>>
>>> Just a little reminder: there is a trac item in Sage detailing with
>>> the upgrade of
>>> Sympy to 0.7.1 (from 0.6.4). I think almost anyone on this email list with
>>> sufficient interest could do this review:
>>> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11560.
>>> It would be great if someone could find the time to do this.
>>> I have agree to write a review of a CAS for a December publication,
>>> and resolving this ticket would help a lot for examples I could give
>>> that mention Sympy. (I am thinking now it would possibly be on Sage
>>> but mention Sympy in some examples.)
>>>
>>> I'd also like to say that, thanks to the improvements to the
>>> Sympy 0.7.1 modules for dsolve (mostly due to Aaron Meurer),
>>> some DEs are solved by Sympy better than by Maxima -
>>> very useful for my day-to-day teaching!
>>
>> I wrote the initial ODE module, which was first included in 0.6.6, but
>> not much has changed since then.  But I guess the most recent Sage
>> version is 0.6.4.  Anyway, I haven't really done much work on it since
>> then :)
>>
>> I did notice at the time, though, that it was more powerful that
>> Maxima (or any other open source CAS that I knew of). For example, no
>> other open source system (or at least not Maxima) to my memory
>> bothered to implement the general nth order case for variation of
>> parameters.  Also, I don't think things like first order ODEs with
>> homogeneous coefficients are implemented in Maxima, if I remember
>> correctly.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm glad to hear that it's been useful to you.
>>
>> By the way, do you find the hint manager useful for teaching?  That
>

> Yes, it is. Sadly, it is not in Sage yet though...
>

>> was one of the motivations of implementing it, that it would be easy
>> to teach, e.g., the Bernoulli method and call dsolve(ode, f(x),
>> 'Bernoulli') or dsolve(ode, f(x), 'Bernoulli_Integral'), and it would
>> be very instructive, as the output would look exactly like it would if
>> you used that method by hand (especially the Integral output).
>

> Agreed. And, thanks very much for your hard work on improving
> this!

David, is this the course that you are teaching from:

http://www.usna.edu/Users/math/wdj/teach/sm212/

? We should put some of the examples into sympy documentation, so far
we have this:

http://docs.sympy.org/0.7.1/modules/solvers/ode.html

but actually doing examples from an ODE course would be cool. For
example for the variation of parameters, I remember it was really
tedious to do by hand. It'd be cool to add couple more examples,
besides what we have here:

http://docs.sympy.org/0.7.1/modules/solvers/ode.html#nth-linear-constant-coeff-variation-of-parameters

Ondrej