One suggestion I would make would be to modify the bench_str benchmark
to only benchmark the printing time, not also the time it takes to
expand the expression.  You may also similarly want to factor out the
creation of symbols, though that should be negligible.

Regarding the completeness of the benchmarks, I would consider adding
benchmarks for the polys and the matrices.  None of the ones you have
really use the polys extensively (unfortunately, nether expand nor
integrate use the polys at this time).  A common benchmark is
something like factor(expand((x + y + 2*z)**10)) (except again factor
out the expansion from the timing).

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 5:40 AM, Maciej Fijalkowski <fij...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I did some benchmarking of sympy under PyPy. I would like some
> comments on the validity of benchmarks. I've use PyPy nightly from 7th
> of Oct, CPython 2.7 release and sympy git trunk.
>
> Benchmarks (also http://paste.pocoo.org/show/489351/)
>
> Those are picked specifically so time stays around 1-5s
>
> Run: http://paste.pocoo.org/show/489352/
>
> As you can see PyPy does give *a bit* of an edge once the JIT warms
> up, although it's not a whole lot. We'll look how to make pypy faster
> on those.
>
> Is there any interest in making sympy more pypy friendly?

Definitely!  Right now, SymPy is painfully slower in pypy than in
CPython (this is seen when running the test suite, for example).  But
we would like to have an actual speedup, like other projects have
reported having.

Perhaps it would be worth it to look at the test suite test by test,
and see which ones are the slowest in PyPy compared to CPython, and
then create some benchmarks based on that.

Aaron Meurer