On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 4:25 PM, krastanov.ste...@gmail.com
<krastanov.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> > code :)
>> > Anyway, I think the documentation of Plot and the module is quite
>> > detailed
>> > so you can look also at help(Plot) anhelp(newplot).
>> >
>> > About the warnings - my idea was to structure the base backend class in
>> > such
>> > a way that any missing functionality in the backend subclass will just
>> > raise
>> > a warning but not an error (unless it is some essential functionality).
>> > So
>> > those will be addressed later.
>> >
>> > It can plot Integrals (due to an old addition done to lambdify thanks to
>> > Certik) but not Sums or anything fancy like product of Kets and Bras. To
>> > do
>> > those a more in depth refactoring of lambda will be needed as Certik's
>> > method for adding Integral to lambdify does not scale well. I think this
>> > is
>> > an important problem.
>>
>> I agree.  Is there an issue for this?
>
> No issue for the moment. I take responsibility for creating one when I
> gather enough understanding of the code and the problem.
>>

>> > Discontinuous functions may pose problems for the moment (none seen for
>> > the
>> > moment, but this is mostly by chance).
>>
>> As far as I can tell, this is a nontrivial problem to solve, as many
>> very good plotting systems choke on discontinuous functions.  Perhaps
>> there can be some kind of symbolic heuristic applied to find
>> discontinuities.
>
> I think Maple has some option in its plotting module about detecting
> asymptotes (numerically?) but I can not check it at the moment. Anyhow, this
> is not the most important feature at the moment.
>>

>> > About the bug in matplotlib - Aaron, you said that you will make a pull
>> > request for them. Should I do something or you have already taken care
>> > of
>> > this.
>>
>> Sorry for the misunderstanding, but this is not what I said.  I was
>> suggesting to you that you do it.  I haven't even been able to
>> reproduce the bug you are seeing, so I can't even tell with certainty
>> what the correct fix is.
>
> I'm sorry :D (my mistake). I'll do it.
>>

>> > I'll start writing tests for the module in the near future. Then the
>> > core
>> > devs should tell me if this code is going in and how.
>>
>> I definitely think it should go in.  I guess the question is how to
>> properly replace/merge it with the old module, which isn't compatible
>> (it uses different syntax, keywords, etc.)
>>
>> Actually, to what degree is the new Plot() function incompatible with
>> the old one?  Would it be possible to merge the two without breaking
>> compatibility with the old module?
>
> There are some things about the api of the old module that I don't like, but
> I'll check if there is a compromise that can be made. I understand the

What are these specifically.  Is it possible to support both APIs at
the same time, while deprecating the old one, r would they have to be
completely different functions to prevent ambiguous input?

Also, even if you don't plan to have this ready by the next release,
we can start deprecating the old module now.

The differences that I've noticed are that with the new module, you
have to specify a variable and range (but assumedly, this will be
relaxed at some point?), and that you have to call p.show() to
actually see the plot.  One idea regarding the last point would be to
create a function plot() (lowercase) which automatically shows the
plot, which would be used for quick plotting, and then leave Plot()
for more advanced plots.

Aaron Meurer