Hi,

On 22 November 2011 13:36, Joon Lee <jundo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your responses.  I was looking for a clean and easy to
> follow method, but..
>
> On Nov 17, 4:42 pm, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In this case, it cannot
> > solve systems of inequalities.  Unfortunately, our inequalities solver
> > is still in its infant stages, so SymPy cannot yet do this directly.
>
> I'm not familiar with the sympy project's overall status, but I wonder
> if it would be possible to borrow from Prolog or pyke to get some
> ideas on how to do the implementation of the inequality solver.

Implementing generic purpose inequality solver is not an easy task. Even in
one variable this is problematic, because one have to be able to somehow
represent and order zeros of expressions (for now polynomials in SymPy's
case). I know that Groebner bases can be applied to solve systems of
multivariate inequalities, but I'm not sure exactly how (possibly by using
Rabinovich trick, or something else). This paper may give you some
overview: http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.35.6423.
Also cylindrical algebraic decomposition (CAD) is used to solve systems of
inequalities (CAD is not implemented in SymPy).

Mateusz