On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Tim Lahey <tjla...@cgl.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Let us know how this goes.  I don't have an Android device, though I
>> do have iOS devices, so I would be interested if you port to that
>> platform.
>
> Aaron,
>
> There's a universal app called PythonMath,
>
> http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/python-math/id429450202?mt=8
>
> that allows you to run SymPy on iOS. It's limited in its Python module
> support, but they specifically add SymPy to a small set of default
> Python modules. It's free (with a $0.99 in-app purchase for a custom
> keyboard designed for Python). I've downloaded it and tried a few
> things, but haven't done anything big with it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tim.
>
> --
> Tim Lahey
> tjla...@cgl.uwaterloo.ca
> PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
> University of Waterloo

Interesting. I have suspected that something like this was possible,
actually (you just have to sufficiently sandbox Python; for example,
you can't run script files).  It does indeed include SymPy, albiet a
rather old version (0.6.7).  Now we just need to wait for someone to
write a dedicated SymPy app, (something along the lines of
http://products.wolframalpha.com/iphone/, only that locally runs SymPy
(or we could make it call SymPy Live too).  Maybe some day I will
learn how to program Objective-C/Cocoa and do it myself.

By the way, if people want to run SymPy on their mobile device, I
should note that SymPy Live (live.sympy.org) now has a mobile version,
thanks to our GCI students.