Maybe https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Git-hg-rosetta-stone will be
useful to you then.

Don't worry if you don't know git.  We expect that incoming students
won't.  We will teach you everything that you need to know.  Making
you use it now at the application stage to submit your patch is just
to help you get started with it right away, so that you can have an
idea how to use it when you start working on your project.

In fact, already knowing one version control system gives you an
advantage, since the basic concept is very similar for all of them.

Aaron Meurer